Orange Poppy Seed Bread?! Yep, orange instead of lemon and it’s amazing! This bread is perfect for a snack, dessert or breakfast. Or all three!
Orange poppy seed is something I had never tried until recently. I’ve always had lemon poppy seed or orange with cranberry when baking. I’m super glad I tried it though because it was a HUGE hit!
How long is Orange Poppy Seed Bread good for?
Once you bake this bread you can keep it wrapped and out on the counter for up to 3 days. You could also store it in the refrigerator wrapped for up to 5 days. I prefer the taste and texture of room temperature bread so I like to leave mine on the counter. You could also double wrap it tightly with plastic and once with foil and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
Ingredients for this bread
- All purpose flour
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Orange zest
- Olive oil
- Vanilla extract
- Sour Cream
- Fresh orange juice
- Poppy seeds
Tips for the best Orange Poppy Seed Bread
- Make sure to let the bread cool completely before adding the glaze
- Let your glaze set for 30-45 minutes before cutting to make less of a mess and have a set glaze
- Make this bread ahead of time and freeze it for up to 2 months. Pull it out of the freezer whenever you need it and let it thaw, it will be just like fresh baked bread!
- You can sub fat free Greek yogurt if you’re not excited about the sour cream
- Do not overbake the Orange Poppy Seed Bread, you’ll end up with a drier version
- Always measure your ingredients accurately when baking
- If there’s something else you love to pair with the flavor orange like raisins, nuts or chocolate, go ahead and throw it in!
How to make Orange Poppy Seed Bread
This Orange Poppy Seed Bread comes together really easily. That’s one thing I love about quick breads! Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a loaf pan with a non stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, the all purpose flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a medium bowl using a hand mixer, mix together the sugar and the orange zest for 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add the oil and vanilla and mix well.
Add half of the dry ingredient mixture until almost fully mixed in and then add all of the sour cream and mix well. Add the rest of the flour. Add the orange juice and poppy seeds and mix until incorporated.
Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean or with only a few crumbs. Do not overbake. Set the bread on a cooling rack and let cool for 15-20 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan and set the loaf on the cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
While the Orange Poppy Seed Bread is cooling, make the yogurt glaze. Mix together the powdered sugar, Greek yogurt, orange juice, zest and salt. Pour over the top once the Orange Poppy Seed Bread is completely cooled.
If you try this Orange Poppy Seed Bread recipe I would love for you to leave a rating and/or review! I’d love to hear your feedback. Make sure to tag me in any Instagram photos of my recipes so I can see what you’re making!
Check out more Desserts!
Orange Poppy Seed Bread
- hand or stand mixer
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 2 eggs room temp
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 5 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1.5 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
Mix the dry ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray one loaf pan with non stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all purpose flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and set to the side
Mix the wet ingredients
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer, mix the sugar and orange zest together for 1 minute
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add the oil and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Mix in half of the flour mixture and mix until almost fully combined. Add the sour cream and mix just until combined. Add the rest of the flour mixture, mixing just until combined
- Add the orange juice and poppy seeds, mixing just until combined
- Spoon the bread mix into the loaf pan
Bake the bread
- Bake the Orange Poppy Seed Bread for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs after being inserted into the bread
- Let the bread cool on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan and place it on the cooling rack until cooled the completely
Make the glaze
- While the bread is cooling make your glaze. Mix together the powdered sugar, Greek yogurt, orange juice, orange zest and salt until smooth
- Once the bread is completely cool, pour the glaze over the top and let it set for 30-45 minutes