This Strawberry Summer Salad is packed with summer flavors and freshness! It is such a refreshing meal or side on a warm summer day. This is definitely one recipe you don’t want to miss!
When I eat salad I like to have a lot of different flavors happening so it’s not just another boring salad. This salad is perfect for summer cookouts, birthday parties or just a quick weeknight meal. All of the fresh ingredients in this Strawberry Summer Salad are so flavorful but the strawberry vinaigrette just takes it over the top!
What is in Strawberry Summer Salad
- Mixed greens
- Candied Walnuts
- Feta Cheese
- Green Onions
- Chicken (optional)
What is in the strawberry vinaigrette
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Dijon Mustard
Tips for making Strawberry Summer Salad
- Choose avocados that are slightly soft to the touch. If they’re too hard they are under ripe and if they’re super soft and mushy they are over ripe and most likely brown
- Use a food processor to make the vinaigrette. Very slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the food processor is running. This will make sure that your dressing stays emulsified and doesn’t break
- If you’re adding grilled chicken to the salad make sure to let it cool down completely before adding it to the greens. Warm chicken will wilt the salad greens
- Make the vinaigrette up to 4 days in advance and store tightly or in an airtight container in the fridge
Other things you could add in this salad
- Instead of walnuts you could use pecans, almonds or your favorite nut
- Mandarin Oranges
- Blue Cheese instead of Feta
- Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Sunflower Seeds
- Hard Boiled Eggs
Cooking the chicken (optional)
If you decide to use chicken in the Strawberry Summer Salad get out a heavy bottomed sauté pan and place it over medium – high heat. Once the pan is nice and hot, add a drizzle of olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the pan and do not touch for 3 minutes.
Flip the chicken breast over and let it sear for another 3 minutes. If you’re using thin chicken breast it may be fully cooked after the 6 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to take the temperature. Once the chicken reaches 160°F, remove it from the pan and let it rest and cool. Slice the chicken once it’s cooled and set to the side.
If the chicken is not fully cooked after the 6 minutes, place it in a 400°F oven for 2-3 minutes. Continue taking the temperature until it reaches 160°F.
How to make the strawberry vinaigrette
Hull the strawberries and put them in the food processor. Add the apple cider vinegar, Dijon, parsley, sugar, salt and pepper. Blend until strawberries are smooth, about 15-20 seconds. With the food processor on low, slowly drizzle the olive oil in through the top, keeping it running the entire time.
Once the oil has all been drizzled in keep the food processor running for another 5 seconds. Pour the vinaigrette into a jar or air tight container for serving or storage if you made the dressing ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to candy the walnuts
Place a heavy bottomed pan or skillet on the burner. Place the sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan. Turn the burner on medium heat. Let the sugar melt. The sugar will get slightly brown when melting. Don’t let it get too dark though.
DO NOT STIR the sugar while it’s melting. Slowly swirl the pan a time or two while the sugar is melting to try to keep it melting evenly. Once the sugar is all melted, dump the walnuts in and stir around continuously with a rubber spatula coating the walnuts. Dump the walnuts out onto a piece of foil and let them cool. After they cool, rough chop the walnuts.
How to make the Strawberry Summer Salad
Start by layering the mixed greens and arugula. Cut the tops off the strawberries, slice them and lay them on top of the greens. Slice the green onions and sprinkle them on top of the salad. Slice the avocado and layer the slices in the salad. Add the blueberries, feta cheese, candied walnuts.
If you choose to use chicken, slice up the chicken breast once it’s cool and add it to the salad. Top with the strawberry vinaigrette and enjoy!
If you try this Strawberry Summer Salad recipe please leave a rating and/or comment! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram when you make and post photos of my recipes, I love to see them!
Check out other Dinner recipes!
Summer Strawberry Salad
- stove top
- food processor
- 8 strawberries hulled
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley stems off
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar melted
- 1 cup walnuts
- 6 oz mixed greens
- 5 oz arugula
- 2 avocados sliced
- 9 strawberries hulled and sliced
- 9 oz blueberries
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 chicken breasts optional, seared or grilled
Make the strawberry vinaigrette
- Hull the strawberries and put them in a food processor. Add all the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients to the food processor besides the oil and blend for 15-20 seconds
- With the food processor on low, slowly drizzle the olive oil in through the top until everything is combined. Blend another 5 seconds
- Pour the strawberry vinaigrette into a jar or an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Candy the walnuts
- Pour the sugar into a heavy bottomed sauce pan and heat over medium heat until all of the sugar melts. DO NOT STIR. Swirl the pot around a time or two to ensure that the sugar is being heated evenly. If it looks like it's bubbling a lot or turning dark brown quickly turn the heat to low
- While the sugar is heating, rip a piece of foil and set it to the side
- Once all the sugar is melted dump the walnuts into the pan and stir around quickly coating them in liquid sugar with a rubber spatula
- Once the walnuts are coated, turn them out of the pan onto a sheet of foil immediately to cool
- When the candied walnuts are cooled, chop them into smaller pieces
Cooking the chicken breast
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and basil
- Heat a skillet on medium – high heat, adding olive oil once the pan is hot
- Sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side depending on thickness. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer and take it out of the pan when it reaches 160°F. Let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing
Making the salad
- Using either 6 individual bowls or one large bowl, lay mixed greens and arugula down as a bed in the bowls
- Slice the strawberries, avocados and green onions and add to the salad
- Add the blueberries, feta cheese and candied walnuts
- Slice and add the chicken breast if you choose to use chicken
- Top with strawberry vinaigrette and enjoy!