This Strawberry Galette radiates spring and summer vibes! It’s the perfect dessert because it’s easy, beautiful and wildly popular!
Galettes are fun for me because they have a very rustic look and feel to them so they don’t have to be perfect. Yay! They look beautiful with all the imperfections. It’s a no stress dessert! I like to call them open face pies and who doesn’t love pie?!
What is a Galette?
A galette is, like I said, essentially an open face pie. It is made with pie crust on the bottom, filled with either fruit or a filling of your liking and then the edges of the crust are folded up about an inch or two over the side and baked. There is no top to the galette so the filling is completely visible.
Versatility is your friend
Galettes are highly versatile and that is good news for you because you can essentially make the same dessert multiple different ways and look like you’re making something different all the time. This Strawberry Galette is absolutely amazing but you can also use a number of different fillings. Like I said, think of it as an open face pie.
Different fillings you could use for a Galette
- Apple (with maple or caramel)
- Goat Cheese and Leek
The possibilities are endless really so once you see how easy this is it can be your go to dessert for parties, get togethers or just an at home treat!
Tips for making the best Strawberry Galette
- Refrigerate the crust over night and again before baking the galette. This really ensures that you end up with the best, flaky, crisp crust. I use Epicurious’ Magpie Dough for Flaky Crust in this recipe, here is the link https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/magpie-dough-for-flaky-piecrust
- Don’t be afraid to let the crust become medium – dark brown while baking. This gives a wonderful texture and flavor to the galette
- This can be served warm or room temp and is extremely delicious either way
- Ice cream served on top really just pushes this over the edge of mega delicious. I used my No Churn Honey Vanilla Ice Cream!!
What is in Strawberry Galette
- I use Epicurious’ Magpie Dough because it is my absolute favorite pie crust and I just don’t want to change the recipe! https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/magpie-dough-for-flaky-piecrust
- Raspberry Jam
- Lemon Juice and Zest
- Demerara Sugar
How to make Strawberry Galette
First make the pie crust. The pie crust recipe I use, https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/magpie-dough-for-flaky-piecrust MUST be refrigerated over night. No ifs, ands or buts about it. The nice part though is that this crust can be made and frozen! So I like to make several batches at a time and freeze them to pull out for later use. VERY convenient.
Make the filling
Just before you plan to take the crust out of the refrigerator to roll out you’ll want to make the filling. Cut the tops off the strawberries and cut them in half if they are large, if they’re small to medium sized then leave them whole.
Place the strawberries in a medium sized mixing bowl and add the sugar (except 1 tbsp.), good quality raspberry jam, lemon juice and zest, cornstarch and salt. Stir until well combined and set to the side.
Rolling and filling the dough
So once the pie crust is made, if you froze it, pull it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to thaw over night. Either way you made the dough you’ll just want to pull it out of the refrigerator when you’re ready to use it.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and lightly flour your rolling pin and hands. Roll the dough out into about a 14 inch circle. Transfer the dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place the strawberry filling on the dough leaving a 1 inch border around the sides. Make sure to pour in all the juice from the bowl.
Sprinkle the top of the strawberries with 1 tbsp of sugar. Fold the edges up over the berries and egg wash the top edges of the crust. Sprinkle the egg washed crust with demerara sugar. Place the Strawberry Galette in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
Baking the Strawberry Galette
Preheat the oven to 400°F. After the Galette has chilled for 15-20 minutes, bake it for 45 minutes or until the edges are a nice medium to dark brown. The medium to dark brown crust will help keep the crust crispy but it also gives an amazing flavor. Remove the Strawberry Galette, let cool and top with your favorite ice cream! I used a Honey Vanilla No Churn Ice Cream!
If you try this Strawberry Galette please leave me a rating and/or review and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram photos when you make any of my recipes! I love to see what you guys are making!
Check out more Desserts!
For the crust: Follow the link above to prepare Epicurious' Magpie Dough for Flaky Piecrust. Epicurious' Magpie Dough for Flaky Piecrust ingredients are listed below so proper nutrition would be posted
- 312 grams flour
- 28 grams sugar
- 6 grams fine salt
- 170 grams cold unsalted butter cut into ¼ inch cubes and frozen
- 60 grams vegetable shortening preferable in baking stick form, frozen, cut into ¼ inch pieces and put back in the freezer
- 130 grams ice cold water
- 5 cups strawberries hulled and cut in half if large
- ¼ cup sugar plus 1 tbsp, divided
- ¼ cup raspberry jam good quality
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
Prepare and chill Epicurious' Magpie Dough for Flaky Piecrust recipe from the link in post. Epicurious' recipe is also typed below so that proper nutrition would be posted.
- Please see link in post to prepare Magpie Dough from Epicurious
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If dough is coming from the freezer, pull it out into the fridge the night before. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-16 inch circle. Be sure to lightly flour your hands and the rolling pin as well
- Carefully transfer the dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet
Mix and add the filling
- Add the strawberries, sugar, jam, corn starch, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice to a medium sized mixing bowl and mix until well combined
- Pour the mixture, juice and all, onto the middle of the rolled out pie crust. Spread the filling evenly, leaving about a 1 inch edge around the outside
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar over the top of the filling
- Fold up the sides of the dough about an inch all the way around the galette
- Beat the egg and brush the crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle with demerara sugar over the egg washed crust
Chill and bake the Strawberry Galette
- Place the galette in the fridge to chill for 15-20 minutes
- Remove the galette from the fridge and bake it for 45 minutes. The crust will become a medium – dark brown color in some spots. It is not burnt.
- Let the galette cool slightly and serve. It can also be eaten at room temperature and is still very delicious!