Now that we’re into June, all I’m thinking is SUMMER and this Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie is the epitome of a summer pie in my eyes. It’s got all the things, strawberries, a slightly sweetened cream cheese, flaky pie crust, cool whip and it’s cold! This pie is perfect to sit back, relax and enjoy on a hot summer day!
Everyone is starting to get back together again which means outdoor parties, BBQ’s, birthdays and holidays. Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie is just the pie for any of those occasions. I don’t think there’s anyone who dislikes this pie, it’s always a huge hit!
And guess what guys?! It’s easy too! Especially if you use a store bought crust. Sometimes I do store bought and sometimes homemade, depends how last second it is. Also how lazy I’m feeling haha. But either way works just fine. There’s not much work involved but it does take a little bit of time because you have to let it cool.
My mother-in-law first introduced me to this pie so all credit goes her way on this one. This pie is a staple at birthdays and for good reason. Lucky for all of you she let me in on the recipe!
Ingredients for Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Pie Crust – store bought or I like to use this recipe from Epicurious: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/magpie-dough-for-flaky-piecrust
- Granulated Sugar
- Strawberry Jello
- Cream Cheese
- Cool Whip
- Demerara Sugar
Tips for the best Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Let the crust cool completely before filling the pie
- Make sure you bring the sugar, water and cornstarch mix to a boil and let it boil for a couple minutes while stirring. It won’t reach its full thickening potential if not
- Make sure the mixture comes to a boil again for another minute after the Jello is added
- Leave the cool whip off until just before serving
- This pie can be made hours ahead of time or even the day before
- If you want to switch things up you can use other fruits like: peaches, blueberries, mangos, raspberries or blackberries
Can you freeze Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie?
The short answer to that is no. Freezing is not a good idea for this pie because it will compromise the quality.
How many days will this pie keep?
Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie will hold up in the fridge for 3 days. After that things begin to get a little soggy. Wrap it tightly with 1-2 layers of plastic wrap. I prefer to leave the cool whip off until it’s time to serve the pie.
How to make Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
First is your pie crust. If you’re using store bought, follow the directions on the box to fully bake the crust and cool it. If you’re using the Magpie dough from Epicurious, follow this recipe https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/magpie-dough-for-flaky-piecrust NOTE: The dough from Epicurious must be started the day before baking. It has to chill in the fridge overnight before baking.
Next pour the granulated sugar, cornstarch and water into a heavy bottomed medium sauce pan. Whisk until there are no lumps. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil over medium heat. Meanwhile, slice the strawberries and set aside. Continue whisking the sugar mixture until it boils.
Let the mixture boil for 1 minute while whisking. Add in the Jello and continue whisking for 1-2 more minutes while the mixture boils. Remove it from the heat and allow it to start cooling. After 20 minutes of cooling, add the sliced strawberries and stir.
While the strawberry mixture is cooling, beat the room temp cream cheese and granulated sugar with an electric hand mixer until well blended. Spread the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of the completely cooled pie crust.
Pour the strawberry mixture on top and move pie to the fridge to cool. Let the pie cool for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day. Add the cool whip before serving and enjoy your Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie!
If you make this Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie recipe, please leave a rating and/or a review for me on the blog! Don’t forget to tag me @inkristaskitchen in your Instagram photos, I love to see any recipes of mine you’ve created!
Check out some more Desserts!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- 1 pie crust store bought or homemade
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp strawberry Jello
- 4.5 cups strawberries hulled and sliced
- 12 oz cream cheese room temp
- 4 oz cool whip
- Place the pie crust into the pie pan so that the edges hang over the pan slightly
- Whisk the egg and brush it on the edges of the crust. Sprinkle the edges with Demerara sugar
- Bake pie crust according to box directions or homemade recipe and let cool completely
Make the filling
- Add 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup water and 3 tbsp cornstarch to a medium sauce pot. Whisk and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Let the mixture boil for 1-2 minutes while whisking
- Add 4 tbsp strawberry Jello and let boil 1 more minute while whisking. Set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes
- Blend room temp cream cheese and remaining ½ cup sugar with a hand mixer for 30 seconds until fully mixed and set aside
- Hull and slice the strawberries and add to the Jello mixture, stirring until fully coated
Filling the pie
- Spread the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of the pie crust and up the sides
- Top with strawberry Jello mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Before serving top the whole pie with cool whip or each slice individually. Enjoy!