This Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe is a favorite summer dessert. It should be made on repeat during strawberry season. This easy dessert combines sweet strawberries and a crunchy crumble topping.
It comes together quickly and can be made ahead of time. The strawberries are mixed with brown sugar, a little bit of orange and lemon then a dash of vanilla.
This delicious dessert is the perfect balance of fresh fruit, crunchy topping and sweetened cream. It’s something the whole family will love!
Strawberry season is definitely a favorite time of year for me. There are endless recipe possibilities with ripe strawberries. Jams, pies, muffins, cookies, cakes, crumbles, toasts, smoothies…the list goes on.
It’s also partially my favorite time of year because it’s finally getting warm outside again! After freezing cold winters the sound of warmth summer and fresh berries sounds amazing!
What is a strawberry crumble?
This Strawberry Crumble recipe is essentially the same as a fruit crisp. Like an apple crisp for example.
It contains fruit, acid, sugar and thickener then is topped with a crisp topping. Strawberry Crumble is made the same way. It can also be called a Strawberry Crisp.
It contains, strawberries, orange, lemon, brown sugar and cornstarch then is topped with a crispy crumble topping.
Many crumbles are topped with an oat crumb. This simple recipe is not.
This particular topping is called strawberry crunch or strawberry crumble crunch. It’s definitely one of my favorite desserts in the summer time!
What is strawberry crunch made of?
This strawberry crunch is made with freeze dried strawberries, Golden Oreos, butter and salt. It is a crumble of dreams! You get the best of all the worlds: cookies, strawberries, salt and butter, YUM!
This topping goes on this Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe toward the end of the baking process. A more traditional crumble topping would be baked on top of the dish the whole time.
This particular topping carries risk of burning so we wait to add it.
What is the difference between a crisp and a crumble?
A crumble is baked fruit that has a streusel crumb topping. The topping usually consists of butter, flour and sugar. Occasionally nuts.
While the topping for this crumble is not quite traditional, it still makes for the best strawberry crumble.
A crisp is still baked fruit however, the topping is a little different. It generally contains oats and is a little lighter. Per Taste of Home.
How do you keep crumble from getting soggy?
Everybody loves crumble but not everybody loves when it gets soggy. Here are a couple steps you can take to prevent this Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe from becoming soggy:
- Don’t leave out the thickener – In this Strawberry Crumble recipe I use cornstarch as a thickener. This helps all the liquid and juices from the strawberries to thicken up which creates less of a chance for your topping to get soggy
- Don’t add too much crumble topping – You want a good amount of topping but don’t go over board. When you start to pile the topping too high then it prevents all of the crumble from being directly exposed to the heat. That means it doesn’t get a chance to become crispy and will stay soggy from the get to.
- Cool the Strawberry Crumble before storing – If you’re going to cover your Easy Strawberry Crumble with plastic wrap then you need to cool it completely first. I would also recommend “venting” the corner. Which means to leave a little bit of the corner uncovered so some air can still get to it. This will help keep the topping crunchy. You don’t necessarily need to cover the crumble at all unless you’re worried about pets or pests getting into it.
Ingredients in Easy Strawberry Crumble
- Fresh Strawberries – I prefer using fresh berries for this Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe however, frozen could be used as well. I would add 1 more tablespoon of cornstarch if you’re using frozen berries
- Brown Sugar – I like the taste of brown sugar with strawberries
- Orange Zest – Orange goes great with the sweetness of the strawberries
- Lemon Juice – A little lemon juice helps brighten the taste a bit. Make sure to use fresh lemon juice. You could also use fresh squeezed orange juice here, it’s a personal preference
- Vanilla Extract – I add vanilla to most of my baked goods
- Cornstarch – Cornstarch will thicken the liquid from the juicy strawberries. All purpose flour can be used as well
- Strawberry Crumble Crunch – Grab the recipe for the delicious crumble topping HERE
- Vanilla Ice Cream – Vanilla ice cream for topping. Try my No Churn Honey Vanilla Ice Cream, its super easy and goes so well with this Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe
- Food processor – The best way to mix up the Strawberry Crunch Crumble is to use a food processor
- 10.5 x 7.5 Baking Dish or a 9-inch Pie Pan – I use this 10.5 x 7.5 baking dish for this Strawberry Crumble recipe but a 9 inch pie pan works well too
- Zester – I only use Microplane zesters, I’m obsessed
- A Few Mixing Bowls – I like to have a variety of sizes when it comes to mixing bowls
Tips for Easy Strawberry Crumble
- This Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe is a great dessert to make ahead. You can make the fruit bake and crumble then keep them separate until its time to bake and serve
- Adding nuts to the strawberry crunch crumble topping is a good way to add a little extra crunch and flavor. I personally like chopped pecans or sliced almonds
- Although not completely necessary, a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of this strawberry crumble recipe is delicious! Try my No Churn Honey Vanilla Ice Cream
- You can reheat this dish in either the microwave or the oven. If reheating in the microwave leave it uncovered, if using the oven then cover the dessert so the topping doesn’t burn
- If you don’t have a 10.5 x 7.5 baking dish then a 9 inch pie pan or something close in size will work. You don’t want it to be too small because the juices will overflow and the fruit won’t be cooked. If its too large then the cook time would need to be changed so that it doesn’t burn
- Strawberries make the best summer dessert! Here are a few more strawberry desserts that are perfect for strawberry season and summer: Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie, Strawberry Cheesecake Bars, Strawberry Galette
There are a couple different options for storing your Strawberry Crumble. That is, if you have any leftover!
Storing Strawberry Crumble in the fridge:
You can store this Strawberry Crumble recipe in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure it’s cooled down to room temperature before putting it in your refrigerator.
You can tightly wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap or you can scoop the Strawberry Crumble into an airtight container and store it that way. If you place a paper towel on top of the crumble it helps it not get soggy.
Can I freeze Strawberry Crumble?
Yes, absolutely! You can freeze it before or after baking. If you freeze it before baking then I would suggest freezing the strawberry crunch crumble separately.
You can then sprinkle it on top after thawing and baking the crumble. You’ll want to tightly wrap the whole dish in plastic wrap 2-3 times then cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil to help prevent freezer burn.
Keep the Strawberry Crumble in the freezer for up to 8 weeks.
Can I leave it out on the counter?
While it is okay to leave it out on the counter while it cools down or in the immediate 4 hours after baking, I would definitely not suggest leaving it on the counter longer than that. Definitely no storing it on the counter.
How to make Easy Strawberry Crumble
Preheat the oven to 350°F then lightly spray a 10.5 x 7.5 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Make the strawberry crumble crunch topping first.
Place the freeze dried strawberries into the food processor then blend until you have a fine powder. Add the Golden Oreos, melted butter and salt. Blend until mixed and a little bit chunky and crumbly.
Set the buttery topping to the side in a small bowl until needed. Cut the strawberries into even pieces. They don’t need to be small pieces but try to get them all close to the same size.
Place the cut strawberries into a medium bowl then add the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, orange zest and vanilla extract. Mix ingredients well. Bake for 35 minutes then top with the strawberry crunch crumble topping in an even layer and continue baking an additional 10 minutes.
The topping should be golden brown. Remove the Easy Strawberry Crumble from the oven.
The best way to enjoy this Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe is warm or at room temperature! Don’t forget to add your scoop of vanilla ice cream or No Churn Honey Vanilla Ice Cream!
Please leave a rating and/or review!
If you’d like to join my newsletter so you never miss a recipe, sign up here! All the latest and greatest recipes will go straight to your inbox as soon as I post them.
If you make this Easy Strawberry Crumble recipe I would love it if you could leave a star rating and/or review at the bottom of this blog post. It’s great to hear feedback and see if people are enjoying recipes!
Don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram photos when you make something and share it! I love to see what every one is cooking. Follow along on Instagram!
Easy Strawberry Crumble
- 1 food processor
- 1 oven
- 1 10.5 x 7.5 baking dish
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 zester
Strawberry Crunch Crumble Topping
- 3 lbs fresh strawberries hulled and cut into large equal size chunks
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp orange zest
- 1½ cups strawberry crunch crumble https://inkristaskitchen.com/strawberry-crunch-crumble-recipe/
- 9 oz vanilla ice cream https://inkristaskitchen.com/2021/04/29/no-churn-honey-vanilla-ice-cream/
Make the Strawberry Crunch Crumble
- Make the crumble topping and set to the side
Making the Strawberry Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F then lightly spray the baking dish with non stick cooking spray
- Place the cut strawberries in a medium bowl then add the brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla and orange zest then mix well
- Place the strawberry filling in the baking dish then bake for 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven, add the strawberry crunch topping in an even layer then bake an additional 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and serve hot or room temp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top