The Ultimate Pork Burger is a delicious mess of a burger. It’s the homemade pork version of a Big Mac but with insane flavor.
This Ultimate Pork Burger recipe is the burger you want to make when company is coming over for a backyard BBQ. It will be a huge hit!
The recipe for this Ultimate Pork Burger was actually inspired by a burger called “Le Pig Mac” from Cochon Butcher in New Orleans. https://cochonbutcher.com/
My husband and I took a trip to New Orleans for New Years about 7 years ago and this restaurant and pork burger was probably the most memorable part of our trip.
Don’t get me wrong, everything at Cochon Butcher is absolutely delicious but this burger stuck with us.
I don’t often make pork burgers, so when re-creating this it just had to be called The Ultimate Pork Burger. This is such a flavorful burger!
I could definitely use one of these burgers with a beignet on the side! We love easy recipes and this juicy ground pork burger recipe is just that!
Easy and delicious.
Speaking of delicious, the sauce for these pork burgers amazing. It’s so good, I like to use it to dip my fries or chips in too.
That’s why the this pork burger recipe has a little more sauce than you would actually need for the burger. Try dipping your fries, tater tots, sweet potato fries or potato chips!
Ingredients for The Ultimate Pork Burger
- Ground Pork – Found at your local grocery store or butcher. I buy ground pork meat but you could also buy pork burgers already made into patties if they have them.
- Garlic Powder – Typically I’m a fresh garlic type of girl but garlic powder works well here.
- Kosher Salt – Salt brings out the flavor in all the ingredients.
- Smoked Paprika – Smoked paprika brings a light smokey flavor.
- Black Pepper – I prefer coarse ground black pepper.
- Garlic Clove – Minced fresh garlic works best for the sauce.
- Mayo – I prefer Hellman’s mayo.
- Ketchup – Ketchup is mixed into the sauce.
- Bread and Butter Pickles – These pickles give a bit of sweet flavor to the special sauce.
- Dill Pickles – Can’t have a burger without pickles!
- Dijon – Dijon adds a bit of a bite but it’s just a hint.
- Iceberg Lettuce – Iceberg lettuce is great for a little crunch on these juicy ground pork burgers.
- Yellow Onion – I Love fresh onion on burgers.
- American Cheese – The classic American cheese.
How to make The Ultimate Pork Burger recipe
- Step 1: First, make the special sauce. Whisk all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside until needed.
- Step 2: Next, make the pork patties. Mix all pork burger ingredients together in a large bowl. Do not overmix. Form into 4 oz patties.
- Step 3: Grill patties until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees f.
- Step 4: Add the American cheese and remove burgers from the grill. Stack two patties on each bun then top with a generous amount of sauce.
- Step 5: Top with lettuce, onion and dill pickle chips. Serve immediately.
- These make the perfect juicy ground pork burgers every time!
Tips for the best Pork Burgers
- Make the sauce a day ahead of time if possible, it helps all the flavors blend together.
- Do not overcook the pork, the burger will dry out. An internal temperature of 160°F is good, the burger will continue to cook after it comes off the heat. I like to use a digital meat thermometer like this.
- Don’t be afraid to slather it in sauce. The sauce is your best friend here.
- I cooked the pork burgers on a cast iron griddle but feel free to use a cast iron skillet, grill pan, flat top or the gas grill.
- This cast iron griddle is my go-to.
- If you don’t eat ground pork then you can sub in ground beef, chicken or turkey.
- If you love pork recipes then check out my Pork Sugo and Pozole Rojo!
What to serve with The Ultimate Pork Burger
The Ultimate Pork Burger is an easy meal to make so why not put easy sides with it? Here is a list of some of my favorite sides to eat with these ground pork burgers.
And most of them are great for dipping in the special sauce.
- These juicy ground pork burgers go perfectly with Easy Crack Corn Salad. It makes for the ultimate pork burger combo!
- Potato Chips – that’s right, plain regular potato chips because they are AMAZING dipped in the special sauce
- French Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Tater Tots
- Onion Rings
The perfect weeknight meal
The Ultimate Pork Burger is perfect for an easy weeknight meal. It’s totally ready in less than 30 minutes.
There’s also not much clean-up, which is always a win in my book! I don’t know about you but I like quick meals during the week when I get home from work and the less to cleanup the better.
This juicy ground pork burger recipe is something the whole family will love!
- Mixing Bowls – You will need a small bowl to mix the sauce and a large bowl to mix the ground pork mixture
- Grill pan or Grill – When cooking this juicy ground pork burger recipe then you’ll need a grill pan or skillet. If you’re making them outdoors then a gas grill is great
- Meat Thermometer – I like to use a digital NSF meat thermometer to check the internal temp of the Ultimate Pork Burger. This is what I use
- Sharp Knife – You should always be using a sharp knife in the kitchen
- Cutting Board – Use a cutting board to cut your veggies
Frequently Asked Questions
What temperature should I cook ground pork to?
I cook my ground pork to an internal temperature of 160°F. The burger will carry over cook when it comes off the heat.
This means that the temperature of the meat will continue to rise another 5 degrees after being removed from the heat source. During this time, make sure you don’t cut into the meat.
It needs to rest to continue cooking.
Is pork good for burgers?
Yes, pork makes great burgers! If you like pork then it is definitely a good option to make burgers with.
Pork burgers are a little fatty and very flavorful. This makes for super juicy pork burgers. Just envision ground pork shoulder.
Pork shoulder is one of my favorite cuts of meat! There are lots of different options for toppings when it comes to pork burgers but this pork burger recipe is a great place to start!
What is a ground pork burger?
A pork burger is simply a hamburger made with ground pork instead of ground beef. Just like a hamburger, a pork burger can be topped with a variety of different toppings.
The ground pork is formed into burger patties. Seasoning can be mixed throughout the meat ahead of time or sprinkled on after the patty is formed.
Is a ground pork burger healthier than hamburger?
This question depends on a lot of different variables. It would depend on which cut of meat the pork and beef are using to make their ground meat.
Different cuts of meat from the same animal have different amounts of fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, etc.
It also depends what aspect you’re looking at. Pork and beef contain different vitamins and minerals that are good for us.
It’s really just a personal preference on what health benefits you’re looking for.
Please leave me a rating and/or review!
Please leave me a star rating and/or review at the bottom of this blog post if you make The Ultimate Pork Burger recipe! It helps make my recipe visible on Google and I love hearing feedback!
Gain access to recipes as soon as they’re published! Have them sent straight to your inbox!
Don’t forget to tag me in any photos you post to social media when making any of my recipes! I love to see my recipes being made in YOUR kitchen and people enjoying them!
The Ultimate Pork Burger
- ½ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup bread and butter pickles diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup yellow onion fine diced
- 8 slices American cheese
- ⅓ cup dill pickles chips
Making the Special Sauce
- Mince the garlic and small dice the bread and butter pickles
- Add all of the special sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside. Sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
Mixing and Cooking the Pork Burgers
- Add ground pork to a large bowl and add remaining pork burger ingredients
- Mix well but do not over mix. Form into patties
- Cook the patties on a cast iron griddle or pan for 4 minutes each side. Check the temperature of the burgers with a meat thermometer. You're looking for a temp of 160°F
- Add the cheese right before the burgers are ready and allow to melt for 30 seconds
- Remove the burgers from the heat and place each one on a bun
Adding the toppings
- While the burgers are cooking dice the onion and shred the lettuce very thin with a sharp knife
- Add the lettuce, onion, dill pickle and special sauce to the tops of the burgers. Enjoy!
- Make the sauce a day ahead of time if possible, it helps all the flavors blend together
- Do not overcook the pork, the burger will dry out. An internal temperature of 160°F is good, the burger will continue to cook after it comes off the heat. I like to use a digital meat thermometer like this
- Don’t be afraid to slather it in sauce. The sauce is your best friend here
- I cooked the pork burgers on a cast iron griddle but feel free to use a cast iron skillet, grill pan, flat top or the gas grill
- This cast iron griddle is my go-to
- If you don’t eat pork you can sub in beef, chicken or turkey