This Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme recipe is about to be your new obsession! This homemade crunchwrap supreme is copycat recipe with a few tweaks I made…for the better!
I’ll admit, Taco Bell is one of my guilty pleasures. It’s so bad but it’s so good! I don’t eat it much but I do get a craving for it every once in awhile and this handheld wrap is a favorite menu item. So last time I got a craving I thought, why not make a homemade version in my own kitchen?
So here we are. Delicious layers of ground beef, nacho cheese sauce, a crunchy tostada, lettuce, tomato, taco ranch and Tajin all wrapped inside a burrito size tortilla then seared until golden brown.
Not to mention, this recipe is budget friendly! Yay! Nothing better than a budget recipe that is also delicious.
If you love nacho cheese sauce with a crunchy tortilla then my gordita crunch should make it to your dinner menu too! Another Taco Bell classic.
The best part is your whole family will agree that this is their new favorite thing. The first time I made this Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme (Copycat) recipe and my husband and kids all ate them I was jumping for joy. The kids don’t often eat what I make, they’re at very picky ages so when they do like something, it’s a great thing! IYKYK!
What’s in the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme?
Taco Bell is a lot of people’s favorite fast food. The Crunchwrap Supreme is a very popular menu item. It consists of the following ingredients:
- Choice of protein
- Nacho cheese sauce
- Crunchy tostada
- Sour cream
- Large soft tortilla
This is the traditional crunchwrap supreme. My recipe is very similar with a few small tweaks.
I use a homemade taco ranch instead of sour cream, my ground beef has onion in it and I sprinkle Tajin on the tostadas. Small changes but very delicious changes!
Ingredients for Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe
- Ground Beef – I like to use ground chuck but feel free to use lean ground beef or any ground meat of your choice.
- Sharp Cheddar – This gives good flavor for the nacho cheese sauce.
- Mild Green Chiles – You can find these in a can at the grocery store.
- Evaporated Milk – This is for the nacho cheese sauce.
- Taco Seasoning Mix – You can use a homemade taco seasoning or store bought like Old El Paso.
- Onion – This gets cooked in with the ground beef.
- Ranch Dressing – I like to make my own ranch using Hidden Valley’s Buttermilk Ranch packet but you can use whatever ranch you would like.
- Cholula – Cholula gets mixed into the taco ranch.
- Tomatoes – Definitely use fresh tomatoes here.
- Lettuce – I like to use romaine hearts but any crispy lettuce works.
- Tostada – A tostada is a corn tortilla that has been fried until crispy.
- Large Flour Tortillas – Burrito size tortillas are best for this. 12inch if you can find them.
- Tajin – Tajin is a Mexican spice mix consisting of chili peppers, salt and lime. Found at your local grocery store.
- Small Flour Tortillas – Depending on the size of the burrito shell you can find, you may need a smaller taco size soft flour tortilla to place in the center before wrapping the crunchwrap.
How do you make a Taco Bell Crunchwrap?
Making this Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme (Copycat) recipe is a cinch. All you need is 30 minutes, and dinner is on the table!
First you need to make the nacho cheese sauce. Place the shredded sharp cheddar, evaporated milk and green chiles into a medium sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Make sure to whisk occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
The cheese will eventually melt and become thick and creamy. Set it to the side until needed.
Next, make the taco meat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a little bit of oil to the pan.
Add the ground beef and onions then continue cooking until beef is fully cooked. Drain excess grease then season with taco seasoning. Stir until fully mixed.
While the beef is cooking, make the taco ranch. Whisk the ranch dressing, taco seasoning and Cholula hot sauce together until fully combined. Set aside until needed.
Begin assembling the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supremes on a flat surface. Lay out 5 large tortillas then divide the ground beef mixture evenly in the center of each tortilla. Keep the ground beef in a diameter about the same size as the tostada is.
Top the ground beef with nacho cheese generously then place a crispy tostada shell on top of that. Sprinkle the tops of the tostadas with the Tajin then top each one with lettuce and tomato. Add some taco ranch over the top of the lettuce then lastly add the extra tortilla (see tips section) shell if the burrito shells are not large enough to fully close.
Fold the large burrito shell up and make a crease. Continue doing this all around the crunchwrap supreme until all edges are folded in and no filling is showing. Turn the crunchwrap over and place it on a sheet tray.
Heat a griddle pan or large frying pan over medium heat. Add a bit of oil then place the crunchwrap seam-side down on the pan. Cook the crunchwrap until golden brown then flip over and do the same to the other side.
You may need to lightly press down on the edges of the wraps to get them to touch the pan and brown evenly. The cook time is about 2 minutes per side.
Once they are done, place them on a large plate to serve. Enjoy!
If you like to cook with beef then try this sloppy joe ground beef recipe next!
Substitutions & Variations
- Try another kind of meat – Use ground chicken, turkey, pork or chorizo.
- Add additional toppings: Sour cream, refried beans, black olives, pickled jalapenos.
- Try your favorite cheese: Shredded Pepper Jack or Chihuahua cheese.
- Large Skillet – You’ll need a large frying pan to cook the ground beef.
- Medium Sauce Pot – A medium sauce pot to cook the nacho cheese sauce.
- Sharp Knife – You’ll need to chop the onions, tomatoes and lettuce. A quality sharp chef knife is a main staple in the kitchen. I like to use Wusthof’s 8 inch chef knife.
- Cutting Board – Here are my two favorite boards. I like to use either a large white board with grips or a Boos wooden block.
- Sheet Pan – I use a half sheet pan to hold my crunchwraps once I fold them.
- Griddle Pan – I use my griddle pan for this recipe. If you don’t have a griddle pan then you can use a large frying pan or cast iron skillet.
- Whisk – To whisk the taco ranch together.
- Small Bowl – To mix the ranch.
- Warm the large flour tortilla shells briefly in a medium skillet or microwave to make them pliable so they don’t rip when folding.
- When making this crunchwrap supreme recipe you may need to use an additional small taco size tortilla. Some of the burrito shells aren’t large enough and won’t close fully. You need the wrap to full close in order to cook it properly so if this happens then just lay one small tortilla right in the center before starting to fold then fold it up as usual.
- Some of my favorite toppings for this recipe are my Creamy Taco Truck Green Salsa Recipe, a little extra taco ranch and/or Cholula hot sauce or hot peppers.
- Large whole wheat tortillas will work if you prefer those over the regular flour tortillas.
- If you can’t find tostadas, you can either fry your own corn tortillas in hot oil or break crunchy taco shells in half and use 2 pieces.
- One important thing to remember while cooking is to press down around the edges of the flour tortilla so that the whole wrap gets golden brown.
Please leave a rating and/or review!
If you love getting all the latest and greatest recipes sent straight to your inbox then sign up for my newsletter! I would love for you to leave me a star rating and/or review at the bottom of this blog post if you make this Taco Bell Crunchwrap Recipe! I’d also love if you tag me in any Instagram photos of recipes you make. I love to see what everyone is making! Follow along on Instagram!
If you like this crunch wrap recipe then try my Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Relish and Chipotle Mayo, California Burrito, Chipotle Carne Asada, Dorito Taco Salad Recipe, Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas!
Frequently Asked Questions
This is not the healthiest of recipes but it is delicious! There are some changes that can be made to make it slightly healthier such as using a light ranch, and lean ground beef.
After cooking, these should be eaten immediately. They tend to become soggy when you have leftovers. You can make them in the morning, besides the final heating step, then heat them for dinner.
Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme (Copycat)
- 1 large skillet
- 1 griddle pan or cast iron pan
- 1 medium sauce pot
- 1 small bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 wooden spatula
- 14 oz super sharp yellow cheddar Shredded. You can also just use sharp if you can't find super sharp
- 10 oz evaporated milk
- 4 oz diced green chilis in a can
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 small onion small dice
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 16 oz ranch dressing I like to make Hidden Valley's Buttermilk Ranch Packet recipe
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp Cholula hot sauce
- 5 large flour burrito shells
- 5 tostadas
- ½ tsp Tajin seasoning found at your local grocery store
- 5 small taco size flour tortillas
- 1 cup roma tomato small dice
- 1 cup romaine lettuce chopped
Making the Cheese Sauce
- Add all the cheese sauce ingredients to a medium sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Make sure to whisk the cheese sauce frequently so it doesn't burn. It will eventually become smooth and thick. Set it to the side until needed
Making the Taco Meat
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat then add a drizzle of olive oil
- Add the beef and the onions to the skillet and cook, breaking apart the beef until fully cooked
- Drain any excess grease and add the taco seasoning. Stir well and set aside until needed
Making the Taco Ranch
- Whisk the ranch, taco seasoning and Cholula together in a small bowl until fully combined. Set aside
Assembling the Crunchwrap Supremes
- Place the large burrito size flour tortilla on a flat surface. If you have room to lay all 5 tortillas out then do so
- Divide the ground beef into 5 equal portions and put it in the center of each large tortilla shell
- Add a good amount of nacho cheese sauce over the top of the ground beef
- Place a tostada over the top of the beef and cheese mixture then sprinkle each tostada with a little Tajin seasoning
- Top the tostadas with lettuce, tomato and then a good amount of taco ranch
- Add the small taco size tortilla over the top of the lettuce mixture
- Fold the tortilla towards the center one time and hold it down
- Make another fold toward the center of the tortilla and hold it down
- Continue this process all the way around the tortilla until it is folded on all sides
- Once the crunchwraps are completely folded
- Place them on a tray seam-side down
- Heat your griddle pan to medium heat and drizzle a little olive oil on it
- Cook the crunchwraps starting with the seam-side down for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. You may need to press down on the edges to ensure even browning
- Flip them over to the other side and cook until golden brown
- Serve immediately while still hot