This Strawberry Galette radiates spring and summer vibes! It’s the perfect dessert because it’s easy, beautiful and wildly popular!
Galettes are fun for me because they have a very rustic look and feel to them so they don’t have to be perfect. Yay! They look beautiful with all the imperfections. It’s a no stress dessert! I like to call them open face pies and who doesn’t love pie?!
What is a Strawberry Galette?
A Strawberry Galette is essentially an open face pie. It is made with flaky crust on the bottom, filled with fruit, chocolate or something savory like tomatoes with cheese then the edges of the crust are folded up about an inch or two over the side and it’s baked until golden brown. There is no top to the galette so the filling is completely visible.
Galettes are very versatile
Galettes are highly versatile and that is good news for you because you can essentially make the same dessert multiple different ways and look like you’re making something different all the time.
This Strawberry Galette is absolutely amazing but you can also use a number of different fillings. Anything you use in a pie, you can use in a galette.
Different fillings you could use for a Galette
- Apple (with maple or caramel)
- Goat Cheese and Leek
The possibilities are endless really, so once you see how easy this is then it can be your go -to dessert for parties, get togethers or just an at home treat!
Tips for making the best Strawberry Galette
- Don’t skip the refrigeration step on the crust. It really makes a difference
- You can make the dough for the crust and refrigerate it for up to 48 hours ahead of time
- Don’t be afraid to let the crust become medium – dark brown while baking. This gives a wonderful texture and flavor to the galette
- This can be served warm or room temp and is extremely delicious either way
- Ice cream served on top really just pushes this over the edge of mega delicious. I used my No Churn Honey Vanilla Ice Cream!!
Ingredients you’ll need
- All Purpose Flour
- Unsalted butter
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Ice Water
- Granulated Sugar
- Raspberry Jam
- Lemon Juice and Zest
- Kosher Salt
- Demerara Sugar
How to make Strawberry Galette
First make the crust. Place the flour and salt into the food processor and pulse a few times until mixed. Then add the cubed frozen butter and pulse until you have a fine meal texture.
Dump the mixture into a medium mixing bowl then add the apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup ice water. Mix together using a fork, working quickly.
Add ice water by the tablespoon until the mixture is “shaggy” looking. It will look slightly dry and crumbly but will start to form a ball and it will hold together when pressed between your fingers.
Form the dough into a ball then wrap it tight in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours.
Make the filling
Just before you plan to take the crust out of the refrigerator to roll out you’ll want to make the filling. Cut the tops off the strawberries and cut them in half if they are large, if they’re small to medium sized then leave them whole.
Place the strawberries in a medium sized mixing bowl and add the sugar (except 1 tbsp.), good quality raspberry jam, lemon juice and zest, cornstarch and salt. Stir until well combined and set to the side.
Rolling and filling the dough
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and lightly flour your rolling pin and hands. Roll the dough out into about a 14 inch circle.
Transfer the dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place the strawberry filling on the dough leaving a 1 inch border around the sides. Make sure to pour in all the juice from the bowl.
Sprinkle the top of the strawberries with 1 tbsp of sugar. Fold the edges up over the berries and egg wash the top edges of the crust. Sprinkle the egg washed crust with demerara sugar. Place the Strawberry Galette in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
Baking the Strawberry Galette
Preheat the oven to 400°F. After the Galette has chilled for 15-20 minutes, bake it for 45 minutes or until the edges are a nice medium to dark brown. The medium to dark brown crust will help keep the crust crispy but it also gives an amazing flavor. Remove the Strawberry Galette, let cool and top with your favorite ice cream! I used No Churn Honey Vanilla No Churn Ice Cream!
If you try this Strawberry Galette please leave me a rating and/or review and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram photos when you make any of my recipes! I love to see what you guys are making!
Check out more Desserts!
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 large baking sheet
- 1 food processor
- 2 mixing bowl
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter cut into ¼ inch cubes and frozen
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ice cold water plus 3-6 tbsp extra
- 1 egg for egg washing the crust before baking
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar for sprinkling on the crust before baking
- 5 cups strawberries hulled and cut in half if large
- ¼ cup sugar plus 1 tbsp, divided
- ¼ cup raspberry jam good quality
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
Make the Crust
- Place the flour and salt in the food processor and pulse a few times to blend
- Add the frozen butter cubes to the food processor and pulse until you have a fine meal texture. About 5-6 pulses then dump the mixture into a medium sized mixing bowl
- Add the cider vinegar and ¼ cup ice cold water then mix with a fork
- Continue adding ice water by the tablespoon full, mixing in between each addition until crust just starts to come together to form a ball. It will look shaggy
- Roll it into a ball then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 48 hours. DO NOT SKIP THE REFRIGERATION
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-16 inch circle. Be sure to lightly flour your hands and the rolling pin as well
- Carefully transfer the dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet
Mix and add the filling
- Add the strawberries, sugar, jam, corn starch, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice to a medium sized mixing bowl and mix until well combined
- Pour the mixture, juice and all, onto the middle of the rolled out pie crust. Spread the filling evenly, leaving about a 1 inch edge around the outside
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar over the top of the filling
- Fold up the sides of the dough about an inch all the way around the galette
- Beat the egg and brush the crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle with demerara sugar over the egg washed crust
Chill and bake the Strawberry Galette
- Place the galette in the fridge to chill for 15-20 minutes
- Remove the galette from the fridge and bake it for 45 minutes. The crust will become a medium – dark brown color in some spots. It is not burnt.
- Let the galette cool slightly and serve. Slightly warm or room temp is fine