This Asparagus Tart is perfect for Easter, Mother’s day or any Spring day! The flavors are light, fresh and remind me of Spring. Ahhh, warmer weather…finally!
There’s nothing like an abundance of cheap asparagus in the stores to let you know, Spring is here! After a long cold winter, it’s one of my favorite sides and eats. There are so many ways to eat asparagus but this tart is one of my new favorites. If you like easy and delicious this one is for you.
Simplicity is the best!
Ever find yourself needing a quick easy appetizer or meal? This Asparagus Tart is the perfect recipe to fill that need. You’ll need the oven for roughly 20 minutes, you’ll use the stove top for the same amount of time while your veggies and puff pastry are in the oven, everything cools and then you build it. Super easy, super quick, super delicious!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Puff pastry
- Rainbow baby carrots
- Chicken Stock
- White wine
- Black pepper
- Alouette Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread
- Fresh Dill
- Fresh Chives
- Lemon zest
Tips for the best Asparagus Tart
- Make sure to use the egg wash on the puff pastry. It gives the pastry a nicer color and texture.
- Don’t skimp on the fresh herbs. The herbs add a lot of freshness and flavor to the tart.
- You can use orange baby carrots if you can’t find the multi colored carrots. Large size carrots are okay as well, whatever is available to you.
- What is julienne? It is a type of cut where the food is cut into long thin strips.
- If you are in a hurry you can cool the puff pastry, veggies and shallots in the refrigerator. If you are in an even bigger hurry, you can top it warm. It would still be delicious.
How to cook the perfect Asparagus Tart
You’ll want to preheat your oven to 400°F. Follow the directions on the box for thawing the puff pastry but generally you’ll want to take it out of the freezer for about 40 minutes prior to rolling it out. Once it thaws out, unroll it onto a lightly floured surface. Put a little flour on your rolling pin and roll the dough out slightly larger than it already is. About 1 inch on all sides.
Whisk your eggs together with about 1 TBSP of water and brush it onto the dough. Fold each side of the dough over about 1 inch to create a lip. Brush the top of the edges with the egg wash.
Slice your carrots into thin circles, about 1/8 inch thick. Cut the asparagus into 1.5 inch pieces and slice your shallots into a thin julienne. Rough chop the dill and thinly slice the green onions and set to the side.
Bake puff pastry for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. If the center is puffed up too high after cooling, press it down slightly with your hand. You want it to be fairly even with the sides.
Drizzle the carrots and asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 10-15 minutes until slightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
While your puff pastry and veggies are in the oven place the sliced shallots into a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add the chicken stock, white wine, butter and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Once the liquid is all evaporated lower the heat just slightly. Make sure to be stirring very frequently at this point, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. That’s where all the good flavor is!
Once the shallots are a nice medium brown color, remove from the heat and let cool.
Building your Asparagus Tart
Once everything has cooled to room temp, you can start to build your tart. Spread the cheese all over the middle of the tart leaving the edges as a “crust” with no cheese. Spread the shallots over the cheese. Sprinkle the asparagus and carrots evenly over the top. Sprinkle the fresh dill, lemon zest and fresh chives over the top. Add the black pepper. And just like that it’s ready to eat!
Check out some Dinner recipes too!
- stove top
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 pound asparagus ends cut and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 oz baby rainbow carrots sliced into thin circles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the glazed shallots
- 2 large shallots julienne cut
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp white wine dry
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch black pepper
For the spread
- 6.5 oz alouette garlic and herb cheese spread 1 container
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives sliced thin
For the puff pastry
- Get your puff pastry out about 40 minutes before baking to allow the dough to warm up. 2. Preheat your oven to 400°F.3. Whisk 1 egg with 1 TBSP of water and set aside.4. Take your puff pastry out of the package and lay it onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll dough so it is about 1 inch bigger on each side. 5. Brush all of your dough with the egg wash. 6. Fold each side of the dough over about 1 inch and brush the top of that dough with the egg wash as well.7. Place your puff pastry onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 20 min or until puffed and a medium golden brown color.8. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Cutting and roasting the veggies
- Cut the ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut the remaining asparagus into 1 inch pieces and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 2. Cut the rainbow carrots into thin circles, about 1/8 inch thick and place onto the same baking sheet as the asparagus on the opposite side. 3. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.4. Roast for 10-15 minutes until a light golden brown. Let cool.
Making the glazed shallots
- While the puff pastry and the veggies are in the oven, slice the shallots. Place them into a heavy bottomed sauce pan.2. Add the chicken stock, white wine, butter and sugar to the pan and cook on medium-high heat stirring occasionally until the liquid evaporates.3. Once the liquid is evaporated turn the heat to medium and stir more frequently scraping up all the brown bits off the bottom. Continue to do this until the shallots have a nice medium caramelized color. Take them off the heat to cool.
Chopping the garnish
- While everything else is cooking, rough chop your dill and thin slice your chives. Set to the side.
Putting the tart together
- After everything has cooled, slightly press down the puff pastry so it is even with the sides.2. Spread the cheese evenly over the top leaving the folded over dough as edges.3. Spread on the glazed shallots.4. Sprinkle on the roasted asparagus, carrots, dill and green onions. Top with a couple sprinkles of black pepper. Enjoy!