These Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies are AMAZING. This recipe is one of my all time favorite cookie recipes. They’re packed with brown butter, toffee, chocolate chips then topped with flaky sea salt!
Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies are just one of those cookies you don’t really get sick of. I could eat them at breakfast, lunch and dinner, day in and day out. They’re perfect for holiday get togethers, birthdays or just some tasty treats at home.
Don’t forget to make extra of these babies for your freezer stash! If you don’t currently have a freezer stash of balled up cookie dough ready to go, you’re doing it wrong. It’s perfect if you only want to take out a couple cookies at a time to bake or just to snack on the raw dough!
Craving more Sweets? Check out some other Desserts!
How to freeze cookie dough
Whenever you make your dough, scoop it all up, bake what you want and freeze the leftover. To freeze it you’ll want to scoop it and place it on a cookie sheet and put it straight into the freezer. After an hour or two take it out and put it in a re-closeable plastic bag (Ziplock) or an airtight container and back into the freezer. You can store the cookie dough for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Ingredients for Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Sugar
- Kosher Salt
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Toffee Bar (I used Heath)
- Dark Chocolate
Tips for the best Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Make sure you get the butter to a nice medium – medium dark brown for the best flavor
- Carefully watch the butter once it starts to brown and continue stirring. Once it starts browning it goes pretty quick
- Refrigerate the cookie dough overnight if you have time. It helps develop the flavor and the dough will also expand more slowly
- If you only want to bake a couple cookies, scoop and freeze the rest! Pull them out of the freezer whenever you want and bake them off. Let them sit on the counter for 20 minutes before baking
- Make extra dough and freeze it for later use!
- Reserve some extra chocolate and toffee to place on top of the cookies before baking for a prettier look
- Use a cold sheet pan when baking. If you’re baking multiple rounds of cookies, let the pan cool or use a new pan before reloading the tray and baking
- Don’t overmix the dough
- Don’t forget the flaky sea salt on top for that super amazing salty/sweet combo!
How to brown butter
In a heavy bottomed sauce pan melt your butter. Stirring it occasionally to ensure even heating. The butter will eventually start to bubble. Then it will become more foamy. Make sure you are stirring the butter frequently at this point. Once it gets foamy you will see little brown bits forming at the bottom of your pan. Keep stirring but keep a close eye at this point because the butter will get dark quickly at this point. Once you have that nice medium brown take the pan off the heat immediately and pour your butter into a heat safe container to use right away or you can refrigerate for about a week.
How to make Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
First make the brown butter then transfer it to a medium sized heat proof bowl then let it cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
Add both sugars to the brown butter then beat until combined. 30-60 seconds with a hand mixer. Add eggs and vanilla then beat until combined, about 1 minute. Add in the flour mixture then beat just until combined.
Cut the toffee into small – medium chunks then fold the toffee and chocolate into the brown butter cookie dough. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop the cookie dough with a 2 oz. cookie scoop and set on the lined cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.
Chill the dough before baking
Chill the Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie dough in the fridge overnight if possible but for at least 1 hour. This will help with flavor and so the cookies don’t spread as quickly.
Baking the cookies
Preheat the oven to 350°F then line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop the cookie dough with a 2 oz. cookie scoop and place on the cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 14 minutes, turning the pan halfway through. Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes then move to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way. Enjoy these delicious cookies warm or room temp!
If you make these Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies please leave a rating and/or review on this post! Tag me in your Instagram photos when you’re making any of my recipes, I love to see what you’re making!
Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- hand mixer
- 1 cup butter browned
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 5 oz toffee bar heath
- 4 oz dark chocolate chunks or chips
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
Mix the wet ingredients
- Beat the cooled brown butter and both sugars together until combined, about 30-60 seconds
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 1 minute
Add the dry ingredients
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and add to the wet. Mix on low speed just until combined
Fold in the mix ins
- Chop the toffee bar into small – medium chunks. Chop the chocolate if using a chocolate bar. Fold in the toffee and chocolate
- Chill the dough overnight or at least for 1 hour
Baking the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Scoop the dough into 2 oz. balls using a cookie scooper. Place the cookies 3 inches apart and bake for 14 minutes, turning the tray halfway through. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to cooling rack
- Enjoy the cookies warm or room temp!