This is the most delicious Easy Lemon Chicken Pasta recipe! The pasta is tossed in a creamy lemon sauce and is topped with tender pieces of marinated and lightly breaded pieces of chicken.
You will love the combination of the tangy taste of lemon in both the creamy sauce and chicken marinade. The lemon flavor combined with the savory flavor of the juicy chicken and creamy pasta is one that is unmatched! My lobster pasta recipe has a touch of lemon too, you can't go wrong with lemon and pasta.
This is a perfect dinner that the entire family will love!
If you are a fan of the savory and lemon flavor combo in this lemon chicken pasta recipe, then you will love my Shrimp and Lemon Pasta with Crispy Prosciutto too!
How to Make Lemon Chicken Pasta
Marinate the Chicken
Step 1 - Add the marinade ingredients to a gallon Ziplock bag. Seal the bag, pressing all the air out. Using your hands, squish and squeeze the bag for about 10 seconds to mix the ingredients.
Step 2 - Add the chicken to the bag. Seal again, pressing out the air. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Do not discard the marinade!
Make the Pasta
Step 1 - Once the chicken is done marinating, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, adding salt and olive oil to the water.
Step 2 - Cook pasta in the boiling water until al dente, according to package directions.
Cook the Chicken
Step 1 - In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, and pepper.
Step 2 - Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing most of the marinade to drip off and place the chicken in the bowl of breadcrumbs.
Step 3 - Coat both sides of the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture and transfer to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
Step 4 - Heat a large skillet over medium heat until very hot. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan and then add all four pieces of chicken, making sure not to crowd them.
Step 5 - Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 160°F and they are golden brown in color.
Step 6 - Remove the chicken from the pan and set it on a clean plate.
Make the Sauce
Step 1 - In a medium sauté pan, add the remaining marinade, lemon juice and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
Step 2 - Stir in the cream and milk, return the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Step 3 - Mix the drained cooked pasta into the sauce, slice the chicken, place it on top then serve hot.
You can buy the ingredients you need for this lemon chicken pasta recipe at your local grocery store or from an online retailer.
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice - Use fresh squeezed lemon juice. This will give the dish the best flavor.
- Oregano - Dried oregano is best here.
- Rosemary - Fresh rosemary will bring the best flavor.
- Kosher Salt - I use Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, if you’re using Morton’s Kosher salt then use about ¾ of the amount called for.
- Black Pepper
- Chicken - You will need four 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Spaghetti - I like to use regular spaghetti for this.
- Bread Crumbs - Fine Italian bread crumbs work best for this.
- Cheese - I like to use a freshly grated blend of parmesan and romano.
- Chicken stock - I use Knorr liquid chicken concentrate.
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Whole Milk
- Plan ahead! The chicken needs to marinate for 2 hours before you begin cooking.
- If the sauce is too thin after allowing it to simmer for 5-10 minutes, make a cornstarch slurry by combining 1 ½ teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 ½ teaspoons water. Whisk this in for about 15-30 seconds, or until thickened.
- Use a dry white wine like Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio, in place of the chicken broth.
- Be sure to use fresh lemon juice. Lemon juice from concentrate will not provide the same fresh flavor.
- Use an instant read meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature of 160°F at its thickest part.
- Serve with lemon wedges or a sprinkle of lemon zest and fresh parmesan cheese on top.
Equipment for Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Large Sauté Pan - I like using a large sauté pan with high sides to make the pasta sauce. That way, there’s plenty of room to stir when you add the pasta.
- Stock Pot - You will use a large stock pot to cook the spaghetti.
- Mixing Bowl - A mixing bowl for combining the breadcrumb mixture.
Yes! Some great vegetable choices would be roasted broccoli, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, sliced bell peppers, fresh baby spinach, or capers. Another idea would be to top with fresh basil or fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
I like to use chicken breast, thin to medium thickness. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. Thighs are juicy and tender and typically cheaper than chicken breast.
Store completely cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, you could add the leftovers to a skillet with a little heavy cream and heat over medium until heated through, or in the microwave.
This recipe is best served fresh. To save some time, while the chicken is marinating, measure out and prepare the rest of the ingredients so they are ready when the chicken is done marinating.
Please Leave a Rating and/or Review!
If you love getting all the latest and greatest recipes sent straight to your inbox then sign up for my newsletter!
I would love for you to leave me a star rating and/or review at the bottom of this blog post if you make this Lemon Chicken Pasta Recipe! It’s very helpful and so appreciated!
I’d also love it if you tag me in any Instagram photos of recipes you make. I love to see what everyone is making!
Lemon Chicken Pasta
- 1 large sauté pan
- 1 stock pot for boiling pasta
- 1 set of mixing bowls
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary fine chop
- ½ tsp kosher salt diamond crystal
- 4 6oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 qt boiling water
- 2 tsp kosher salt diamond crystal
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1 lb dried spaghetti
- 1 cup fine Italian bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoon grated parmesan romano blend
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- leftover marinade
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken stock I use Knorr liquid chicken concentrate
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1.5 teaspoon corn starch optional for slurry to thicken
- 1.5 teaspoon cold water optional for slurry to thicken
Marinate the Chicken
- Add all marinade ingredients to a gallon ziploc bag then seal the bag, pressing all air out. Squish and squeeze the bag for 10 seconds to mix everything
- Add the chicken to the bag then reseal, pressing out all air. Let chicken marinate for 2 hours (do not discard marinade)
- Once the chicken is done marinating, boil 4 quarts of water in a large pot. Add the salt and oil to the water
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions for al dente noodles
Cooking the Chicken
- Mix the bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, let most of the marinade drip off the chicken then add it to the bowl of breadcrumbs. Cover each side then set on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the chicken
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until pan is very hot. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan then place all 4 pieces of chicken, making sure not to crowd them
- Cook for 3-4 minutes each side until chicken has reached 160°F. Remove chicken from the pan and set on a clean plate
Making the Sauce
- Pour the remaining marinade into a medium sauté pan. Add the lemon juice and chicken stock then bring to a boil
- Stir in the cream and milk. Return to a boil then turn heat to low and simmer 5-10 minutes
- If sauce is to thin, then stir cornstarch and water together to make a slurry and whisk into simmering sauce. Continue whisking until sauce thickens, about 15-30 seconds
- Mix the drained spaghetti into the sauce, slice the chicken and add it over the top, serve while hot