This salmon rice bowl with chimichurri recipe is a quick and easy weeknight meal.
They are have so much flavor with tender pieces of salmon, sauteed bell peppers, avocado, mango and a chimichurri sauce, all on a bed of white rice.
These bowls are colorful and delicious!
Like my Shrimp Poke Bowl and Poke Bowl recipes, I love to make this quick and easy salmon rice bowls with chimichurri as a healthy and filling dinner. The different components can be prepared ahead of time so I can make fresh bowls in just minutes on a busy weeknight.
Salmon Rice Bowl Ingredients
- Salmon – You will need a 24 ounce fresh salmon filet. I buy 4, 6oz pieces of salmon, all similar in shape.
- Salt & black pepper
- Olive oil
- Honey – Local Hive Honey is my go-to honey.
- Bell peppers – Orange, yellow and red bell peppers cut julienne style.
- Lime – Fresh lime juice is used for the mango and avocado mixture and in the chimichurri.
- Parsley – Use fresh parsley.
- Cilantro – Use fresh cilantro.
- Garlic – Fresh whole cloves of garlic.
- Red wine vinegar
- Orange – Fresh orange juice is used in the chimichurri sauce.
- Oregano – Use dried oregano.
- Crushed red pepper – This adds just a hint of spicy flavor to the chimichurri sauce.
How to Make Salmon Rice Bowls
Making this salmon rice bowl recipe is a cinch. For the full ingredient list and instructions, see the recipe card below.
Make the Rice
Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Step 2 – Cook the rice according to package instructions, adding salt.
Make the Salmon
Step 1 – Gently toss salmon, salt, pepper, and honey in a bowl.
Step 2 – Place salmon on the prepared sheet pan in a single layer, making sure not to crowd the pieces.
Step 3 – Roast in the preheated oven for 3-5 minutes, or until desired degree of doneness.
Make the Toppings
Step 1 – Heat a sauté pan over medium heat until hot then add the oil, bell peppers and salt. Sauté until slightly softened then remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2 – In a medium bowl, toss the mango, avocado and lime juice then set aside.
Make the Chimichurri
Step 1 – Add all chimichurri ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend on high until chunky but blended. Taste then adjust salt, if needed.
Step 2 – Layer each bowl with rice in the bottom, cooked salmon pieces, bell peppers, avocado mango mixture, and top with the chimichurri. Serve immediately.
Storing Salmon Rice Bowls
Store leftover salmon rice bowl components in airtight containers, or covered tightly with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat the salmon and rice in the microwave until heated through then assemble rice bowls when ready to eat.
- Use Minute Rice to make this a quick and simple meal.
- Use your leftover rice to make spicy tuna with crispy rice!
- Make the chimichurri up to 3 days ahead then store in the refrigerator to save time.
- Salmon rice bowls are best when eaten freshly made.
- Make the toppings and chimichurri while the salmon and rice cook.
- Rice – You can use any rice or grain that you prefer. Some good alternatives would be: farro, cauliflower rice or brown rice. I love using cauliflower rice for in this salmon rice bowl recipe!
- Salmon – Use shrimp or tofu in place of the salmon.
- Lime – Feel free to substitute fresh lemon juice for the lime juice. It will provide a similar flavor and be just as delicious!
A salmon rice bowl is a complete meal that consists of vegetables, fruit and salmon on top of a bed of rice. It is a meal that is quick, simple and easily customizable.
Yes. This salmon rice bowl is healthy because it contains healthy vitamins and nutrients from the fruits and vegetables and the salmon is an excellent source of protein. These salmon rice bowls are also dairy free and gluten free!
These salmon rice bowls are best served freshly made. You can make the chimichurri ahead of time, up to 3 days. Store it tightly wrapped in the fridge. Also, prepare the bell peppers by cutting them ahead of time so they are ready to go when it is time to start cooking.
I prefer using fresh salmon anytime I’m making a salmon dish. I find the quality much higher when buying from the grocery store. However, there are companies you can order high quality frozen salmon from to be shipped directly to your house.
Yes, you can! Fresh mango works great when it’s in season however, frozen mango is the better option when it’s not in season. Just thaw the mango chunks in the fridge overnight before making the bowl.
Salmon Rice Bowl with Chimichurri
- 2 cups white minute rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp kosher salt diamond crystal salt
- 24 oz salmon fillet cut into 1 inch chunks
- tt kosher salt
- tt black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 red bell pepper julienne
- 1 orange bell pepper julienne
- 1 yellow bell pepper julienne
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- tt kosher salt
- 1 cup mango cut into ½ inch chunks
- 2 avocado cut into ½ inch chunks
- juice of half a lime
- 1 cup parsley fresh, whole leaves
- 1 cup cilantro fresh, whole leaves
- 4 cloves garlic whole
- 1 fresh jalapeno cut into large chunks
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt diamond crystal salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
Making the Rice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Cook the minute rice according to the package instructions, adding salt
Making the Salmon
- Gently toss the salmon chunks in salt, pepper and honey then place it on a sheet tray. Don't crowd the pan, space the salmon out
- Roast for 3-5 minutes until desired doneness
Making the Toppings
- While the salmon and rice are cooking, make your toppings and sauce
- Heat at medium sauté pan over medium heat until hot then add the oil, bell peppers and salt. Sauté until slightly softened then turn off the heat and set aside
- Toss the mango and avocado chunks in a bowl with lime juice then set aside until needed
Making the Chimichurri
- Add all chimichurri ingredients into a food processor or blender then turn on high until chunky but blended. Check the salt level and adjust if needed
- Layer each bowl with rice on the bottom then add the salmon, bell peppers, avocado mango mix then top with chimichurri. Serve immediately