The holidays are here and a Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail is just what you need! I love apple cider during the fall and winter season. Mulling it with cinnamon, cloves, allspice and oranges makes it even better!
Then the addition of bourbon?! Yes, please. You’ve got my heart. This is a super easy cocktail that can be enjoyed hot or cold!
These Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktails have a splash of ginger beer for a little extra kick too. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors and it definitely goes well with apple cider and bourbon. They’re perfect for any fall or winter occasion!
Need a holiday appetizer too? Try Roasted Garlic Spinach Artichoke Dip or Star Bread!
What kind of bourbon should I use?
You can use any bourbon you’d like! I’d suggest using a mid-range bourbon, you don’t want something too cheap and poorly made. You also don’t want to be mixing your expensive bourbon, that’s made for sipping by itself!
I used Makers Mark 46 because that’s what I had on hand and it worked well. You can use bourbon, whiskey or a dark rum if whiskey isn’t your jam.
Ingredients for your Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
- Apple Cider – A good quality pure apple cider is best. It should be cloudy, not looking like apple juice
- Cinnamon Sticks – Whole cinnamon sticks will give the apple cider some extra holiday flavor
- Whole Allspice – Allspice is another holiday flavor that goes in the cider
- Whole Cloves- Cloves are one of my very favorite spices to use around the holidays
- Orange – Mull the apple cider with a few orange slices for a little more depth of flavor
- Lemon – I like to squeeze a little lemon in at the end
- Bourbon – I like to use bourbon but any whiskey or a dark rum would work too
- Ginger Beer – Ginger goes so well with the apple and bourbon
Tips for the best Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
- Take the time to mull the apple cider with the warm spices, it really adds a nice holiday flavor
- Choose a bourbon that you know you like. If you don’t like bourbon then you can use any whiskey or a dark rum
- Mull the apple cider up to 10 days in advance then store it in the fridge until needed
- You can enjoy this Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail cold or warm
- I really enjoy a squeeze of lemon into my glass before drinking, but it’s not a necessity
- Roasted Garlic Spinach Artichoke Dip and Star Bread are some fun appetizers to go with your Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
- Sauce Pot – You’ll need a medium sauce pot to mull the apple cider. You could also use a crockpot but that will take hours longer to get the same result
- Strainer – A fine strainer works best for straining the spices out of the apple cider. You can also tie the spices in cheesecloth for easy disposal afterwards
- Cocktail Glasses – Any cocktail glass will work
- Liquid Measuring Cup – I prefer to use a liquid measuring cup for all of the ingredients in the Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
How to make Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktails
Heat the apple cider, cinnamon sticks, allspice, whole cloves and orange slices in a medium sauce pot until it boils then reduce to a simmer or just below for 20 minutes. Strain the apple cider through a fine mesh strainer then cool completely.
If you are making warm Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktails then skip the cooling step and just set the apple cider aside until needed.
Fill a cocktail glass with ice, bourbon, mulled apple cider then ginger beer. Stir the cocktail around then add a lemon wedge to the rim. Cocktail can be garnished with cinnamon sticks, orange slices or cranberries if you like.
If you’re making a warm Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail then skip the cooling step and skip the ice. Enjoy!
Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
- sauce pot
- cocktail glasses
Mulled Apple Cider
- 1 qt apple cider good quality
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ tsp whole allspice
- ¼ tsp whole cloves
- ½ orange sliced
Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
- 5 oz mulled apple cider cooled
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 oz ginger beer
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
Making the Mulled Apple Cider
- Bring the apple cider, cinnamon sticks, whole allspice, whole cloves and orange slices to a boil in a medium sauce pan
- Turn down to a simmer for 20 minutes
- Strain the cider through a fine mesh strainer to get the spices out then cool the cider
Making the Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice
- Pour 5 oz of cider, 2 oz of bourbon and 2 oz of ginger beer into the glass and stir
- Garnish each drink with a lemon slice to be squeezed in. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply